Saturday 23 January 2016

IT'S NOT THE WINNING THAT COUNTS, IS IT LOUIS?

Hallam FC v Penistone Church FC in the NE Counties League Division 1. 0-0 but plenty of rewards other than goals. Isn't that right Louis van Gaal?
Yes, we all got more out of today's bonanza of football at Hallam FC than goals. There were points to share for example, the referee and his assistants were taken through the labyrinth of abuse (some would say they deserved all they got) however it was a test of fire.
Sadly, being at the oldest ground in the world and at one of the oldest clubs in football archives, the antics of the players, coaching staff and club officials did not follow the advice printed clearly around the ground-even on the dug outs! The Corinthians would be rotating in their coffins.
The highlights were;
1. A great drive across the western fringes of Sheffield and the eastern fringes of the Peak District to get there.
2. An historic ground dating from 1860 which claims to be the oldest in the world. How do I know that? I bought a mug from the club shop that told me so!
3. The new mug (see below)
4. Another match day programme for my collection and ticket £6.50.
5. I met some of my walking football friends, two of whom are related to the Penistone Church coaching staff-no wonder they were good at footy-it's in the genes you know.
6. I chatted to several people leaning on the barriers, two of whom came from Southport and Wrexham respectively and were retired teachers; one of whom taught in Worthing. Like me, they were ground hoppers.
7. I did reckon there were a couple of players on the pitch who deserve to be playing at a higher standard. A maybe a couple who could be done for foul and abusive language.
8. I didn't win the bottle of red wine or the Heroes chocs in the raffle, but then like the massive  £33m Lottery unclaimed win, maybe I didn't check my tickets closely enough. I live in hope.
9. My mate Bob was at Oldham Athletic and I reckon I had a better, cheaper deal.
10. The Hallam people were charming.
BTW a) Hallam FC also claims to be the second oldest club in the World after Sheffield FC...see previous blogs. b) The club formed from the 1804 Cricket Club that took 56 years to decide that they needed a winter past time! c) The original Boxing Day game against Sheffield in 1860 is regarded as the oldest inter-club match.
d) Club captain John Shaw represented Sheffield FA along with Charles Alcock of the London FA to accept the new "laws" in 1863 and e) these two captain sides from the two associations in 1871 to try out the new laws (I'm relying on the match programme for this info!). f) The Youdan Cup won by Hallam in 1867 is believed to be the first official cup competition.

Excited??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment