Saturday 3 September 2016

HYDE AND SEEK

It is wonderful, football. I hope I feel the same way tomorrow at around 7pm when Sam's team have squigged Slovakia into a pulp.

Today I ventured almost to the dark side, I was in Greater Manchester, if you know your county boundaries, at Hyde. This was a sort of old fashioned Lancashire derby against Colne (40 miles away near Burnley) in the FA Cup. It was a qualifying round and no holds barred.

By the time Mrs B had suggested that I drive to Glossop and get the train at £1.70 return to Newton for Hyde, there was a plan. Dintin, Broadbottom, Godley, Hattersley, the station names are reeled out like a Flanders and Swan sing song. I got off at Newton for Hyde.

I walked to the Ewen Fields, taking ten minutes or so, and found a very tidy stadium with a largish seater grandstand, each other side of the pitch covered for standing, a club shop, bar, food place plenty of lavs and I was pestered for half time tichkets, time of first goal (I was 7 minutes out) a substantial programme and an OAP entry fee.

By the time I had consumed a pint of Hyde United bitter (it was good) and chatted to some regular bloke and his daughter, wife, sister, cousin-couldn't tell, I was suddenly aware that the FA Cup meant more to Hyde than to the many other clubs competing in the tournament. 26-0 he reminded me.

One of my Facebook friends suggested 36-0 once I had posted where I was but he was ten goals out-he was of course remembering Arbroath v Bon Accord, but "good on him" for having a go.

Yes Hyde had lost to Preston North end in a record beating 26-0 in 1887 (actually I guessed that date in the bar). After the 26-0 win they all asked the Hyde goalie for his autograph because he had played so well. Eight of their team scored.Preston lost the final in 1888 to WBA 2-1.

So Hyde FC began in 1885 in the local White Lion Pub, went to Ewen Fields in 1906, merged with Hyde St Georges, joined the Lancashire Combination, folded in 1917 due to the war and then reformed in 1919 when the local "Forty Gang" and "Discharges soldiers and sailors" got together,

Since then they have been a well run and successful club playing in the Northern Premier League Div 1.

I looked at the sward and thought, my word that is some grassy pitch, but it turned out to be Astro and in perfect nick. All their teams train there, the club is full of action all week and therefore money coming in, Good effort.

Today they won 1-0.
Never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment